20 February 2018 / Club News

Penybanc 17/2/2018

                      PENYBANC     12        LLANDYBIE       29

Llandybie travelled to local rivals Penybanc for this league fixture. The pitch was very wet and  very boggy underfoot. The visitors laid out their stall early in the first scrum, Dai Lloyd, Rhys Cann and Keenan Jones supplying the power and drove Penybanc back off their own put in. The next scrum yielded a penalty to Llandybie but Lee Davies dropped it short. A good crossfield move put Llandybie close but the final pass was poor and Banc cleared. Llandybie kept the pressure on not allowing the home side out of their half. Another good drive in the scrum released the backs, Rhys Evans finding Dafydd Nicholas in from the right wing putting full back Josh Williams in for a try. It was half an hour before Penybanc gained a penalty which they missed. Llandybie lost Aled Tommason with a hamstring pull replaced by Alex Wigley.

Penybanc were putting in a lot of effort but Llandybie’s back row , Nathaniel Butler,RhydianJones and Lyndon Davies were always on hand in defence. A good take in the linout from James Tommason from Cann’s throw put Llandybie away, Williams into the line fed Nicholas who made a lot of ground before being tackled by Wayne Williams but scrum half Leighton Rees was on hand to pick up and score, converted by Lee Davies. A good run by Wayne Williams kicking ahead took Penybanc into Llandybie’s twenty two for the first time but the defence got back and half time arrived with the visitors leading 12 nil. 

The second half Penybanc made a concerted effort to get into the game, but a dropped pass was pounced upon by Alex Wigley who offloaded to Butler, his run up the wing was stopped yards short by Banc’s scrambled defence. Banc tried to run from their own twenty two but good defence by Tommason and Merlyn McClelland resulted in another dropped pass whichwas gratefully picked up by winger Ben Featherstone to score. James Tommason kicked ahead in loose play with Cann chasing hard and taking down the full back, but had to leave the field with a twisted ankle, replaced by Dan Brooks. With Penybanc on the attack Llandybie’s aggressive defence from Merlyn McClelland and Brooks turned the ball over and Josh Williams run out of defence ,to Lee Davies who kicked ahead. From the loose play Banc infringed and Rees took a quick tap to Butler who made twenty yards offloading to Williams who put Wigley in at the corner. With Banc again on the attack another dropped pass was hacked ahead by centre Rhys Evans who controlled the ball well with his feet to score an individual try from 70 yards converted by Davies to put the visitors ahead  29 – 0.                                                                                          Llandybie lost Featherstone with a head injury replaced by Rhydian Jones and Williams and Keenan Jones were replaced by Shon Davies and Matthew Meredith. Meredith made a fine double tackle soon after coming on, but a high tackle on Rhys Evans resulted in him having to go off. With Llandybie down to fourteen men, Penybanc made greater efforts and scored two late tries. Llandybie were happy with a bonus point win however which moved then up to joint third in the table.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments