27 March 2017 / Club News

Match report - Pantyffynnon 25/3/2017


With Llandybie winning the Division 3C title last time out with a handsome home win against a depleted  Pantyfynnon , they were expecting a much closer encounter this time. With Pantyfynnon opting for passive scrums from the outset they took an early  lead with a penalty by Nick James.  Panty threw the ball wide probing the Llandybie defence which was up to the task. The game was at stalemate for twenty minutes then the  visitors put the ball to their backs with Chris Powell and Rhys Evans looking for an opening. From the ensueing ruck flanker Shon Davies crashed over for a try. Panty tried to drive down the middle but were forced back by a crunching tackle by Lyndon Davies. Hooker Rhys Cann found Merlyn McClelland with increasing regularity in the line out and the ball was shipped across field with good handling from forwards and backs for scrum half Leighton Rees to nip in for try. 

Llandybie moved downfield and created a driving maul with Cann handing on to prop Keenan Jones to crash over for a try to give the visitors a 15 – 3 lead at half time.

Llandybie started the second period with a bang, from the restart good work by Rhydian Jones, Shon Davies and McClelland secured the ball and Rees got his backs moving with centre Rhys Evans running a good line to crash over wide out. Llandybie’s back row was again to the fore,with good carries by Lyndon and Shon Davies ,  but lost captain Rhydian Jones with a head injury replaced by James Tommason. The visitors were cutting loose behind and full back Dafydd Nicholas joined the line to give  Ben Featherstone a chance but he was tackled just short. Soon after Nicholas again joined the line to score a good try converted by Chris Powell. Panty tried to counter but were tied up by Dai Lloyd and Tommason and were penalised for holding on. Leighton Rees took a quick tap and offloaded in the tackle to centre Powell who raced through to score, converting his try.  Llandybie rang the changes bringing on Ethan Walters and Matthew Meredith and Alex Wigley replaced the injured Aled Tommason.  Pantyfynnon cleared their lines to full back Nicholas who moved crossfield to Rhys Evans who threw a huge pass to winger Ceri Davies catching it at full speed to power over in the corner.  Seven tries and a bonus point for Llandybie to keep up their winning run. Next  week their last league game against Bynea. Final score Pantyfynnon 3 Llandybie 39.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments