10 November 2019 / Club News

New Dock Stars 9/11/19

Llandybie travelled to St George playing field Llanelli for this league fixture looking for a much needed victory after a number of narrow defeats. With heavy showers there were a number of early knock ons by both sides. Both sides missed penalties in the first ten minutes but both sides tried to move the ball. Llandybie’s management of the ruck area was much improved. 

New Dock kicked the ball deep and from a line out moved the ball wide for the left winger to dive over in the corner.Llandybie exerted some pressure with a good carry from eight Ellis Barr and centre Kerri Davies, Llandybie moving the ball quickly from the ruck for flanker Nathaniel Butler to burst through the middle with captain Rhys Evans on his shoulder. With the cover coming across he kicked ahead and won the race for the touchdown for a good try converted by Ben Featherstone. 

The visitors line out worked well with hooker Rhys Cann finding James Tommason and Dan Brooks with regularity. Scrum Half Kieran Williams and flyhalf Tom Griffith getting their back line moving, with winger Tom Howells also getting involved. One good driving scrum was brought down by New Dock’s centre who received a yellow card. Jordan Tommason and Ethan Walters carried well supported by livewires Ioan Rees and Butler. At half time Llandybie led  by seven points to five.

New Dock scored  a somewhat controversial try early in the second half. The right winger eluded a Featherstone tackle but was clearly in touch and he offloaded to support runners  to score. However the linesman’s flag did not go up and the try was awarded much to the annoyance of the Llandybie coaches standing on the line.

The conditions were worsening but Llandybie increased their workrate and were encamped in the New Dock half for long periods. Rhys Evans broke clear and kicked ahead but New Dock got across to minor the ball. Llandybie’s scrum was now on top with coaches bringing on props Dai Lloyd and  Steffan Thomas and flyhalf Mathew Lloyd.

Rhys Cann and Butler took the fight to New Dock with strong carries and Tom Griffith sold a dummy and almost made the line but was injured in the process. The New Dock forwards were tiring fast but Llandybie kept up the pressure. They weren’t to be denied and from ruck quick ball through Evans and Ellis Barr to flanker Ioan Rees to score in the right hand corner.

A tough game with both sided competing and Llandybie just having enough in the tank to win. Next week they are home to Bynea.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments