11 December 2017 / Club News

Bynea -9/12/2017

LLANDYBIE   10      BYNEA  5

Top of the table Bynea RFC were the visitors to the King George playing Field to play Llandybie in a match the hosts could ill afford to lose. Both sided observed a minute’s silence on the passing of Meurig Williams, former Llandybie player in the Grand Slam era of the 70’s, who played for the club for many years.  The early exchanges were going the way of the home team, but Bynea kept a tight defence. A clever grubber kick through by Tom Griffith  almost brought a try for Ben Featherstone, but the Bynea defence were offside and a penalty was the result. Aled Tommason pulled the kick just wide.                                                                                           Bynea used their heavy pack to pick and drive and kept up some sustained pressure which resulted in a try wide out after twenty five minutes. The hosts lost second row Merlyn McClelland with a hip injury , their only recognised second row ,bringing on Mike Tench and having to rejig their pack. A strong run by Lyndon Davies was recycled and fly half Lee Davies put in a good kick ahead, chased by Alex Wigley and Rhys Evans. Their pressure brought the ball back the hosts side and with Bynea caught offside Tommason kicked the penalty.  Bynea had a penalty which was wide of the upright. Half time arrived with the visitors 5 – 3 ahead.

Bynea used their pack well making Llandybie work very hard to contain the drives but had little to offer out wide. Llandybie’s back row, Nathaniel Butler, Shon Davies, Lyndon Davies and captain Rhydian Jones were immense in the tackle area.  Front row of Dai Lloyd, Dan Brooks and Matthew Meredith held their own  against heavier opponents. From a foray into the Bynea twenty two, Dan Brooks found Mike Tench in the lineout and the ball was fired across field by Tom Griffith through the backs with full back Dafydd Nicholas in the line,  to Lee Davies who used his strength and length to reach out to score a good try which Tommason converted with a fabulous kick from on the touchline to put the hosts ahead. Bynea came again with Llandybie up for the fight. A loose ball was hacked ahead by Meredith and he would have scored with a kinder bounce but Mike Tench stole the Bynea throw with the Llandybie backs again in play with Rhys Evans finding Alex Wigley to score a try wide out. However the referee had seen a forward pass and disallowed the try. Keenan Jones replaced Meredith and with his first tackle prevented a score from a Bynea drive. The visitors kept the pressure up but the home defence was unyielding. Llandybie had a penalty late on but Tommason put it just wide. It was a tough struggle against a big pack but the hosts just about deserved the win ,thankful of a fine defensive display . Next week Llandybie are home to Betws in a local derby.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments