06 February 2017 / Club News

Pontyates 4/2/2017 - Match Report


Llandybie travelled to Pontyates determined that the hosts would not spoil this season as they had done last year and to reinforce the good result last week against Aberaeron.                 The opening minutes were frantic with Pontyates trying to pressurise the visitors and disrupt their play. The hosts gave away a penalty for offside in the opening minutes kicked by Aled Tommason. With captain Rhydian Jones out injured Llandybie had a ready made replacement in Lyndon Davies who proved his worth with a barnstorming run from thirty yards shrugging off two players and taking another two over the line to score a great try converted by Tommason. A good run by centre Chris Powell was negated when his backs strayed offside but the visitors play was incessant with flankers Sion Davies and Nathaniel Butler everywhere in the loose.   James Tommason and Merlyn McClelland won a lot of line out ball for LLandybie and tackled well. Keenan Jones, Dai Lloyd and Rhys Cann had the better of their opponents in the scrums with Jones making life very difficult for Pontyates loose head. The hosts were penalised for not releasing in the tackle and Tommason took the points from thirty yards. Pontyates missed a penalty and pushed forward in attack. Full back Rhys Evans bravely fielded a high kick with forwards bearing down on him and put in a good run to the opponents twenty two feeding winger Ben Featherstone who ran out of space. Fly half Richard Davies and Powell kept their team going forward with clever kicks into space and did their share of tackling for the team. Another strong run from Lyndon Davies was rewarded with Ponty penalised yet again for playing the ball when off their feet and Tommason slotted the kick and soon after gave away another penalty for holding back which was a yellow card and Tommason again took the points. With Pontyates attacking  down the left scrum half Luke Yelland put in a good forty yard relieving kick . Winger Johnny Harris was lively chasing any kicks ahead making life difficult for the hosts. Ponty missed a penalty for holding on in the tackle . Half time and Llandybie led 19 – 0.                                          Early pressure in the second period saw another yellow for the hosts for continuous offside in the rucks, but Tommason missed the kick. A good spell of pressure by the hosts resulted in a hard earned try to put their first points on the board. The hosts gave away yet another penalty for offside which Tommason kicked. A good run by Harris saw the ball recycled and Rhys Evans joined the line to be high tackled and another yellow card. Llandybie lost hard working McClelland with a head injury, replaced by Layton Davies and Dan Brookes came on for James Tommason.  Josh Cranfield replaced the injured Harris and Matthew Meredith came on at prop for Jones with Leighton Rees replacing Luke Yelland. The changes made no difference to the visitors play with everyone playing their part.  Another forward surge by Davies for Llandybie with Lloyd and Butler involved and a massive clearout by Rhys Cann giving Leighton Rees good ball, he passed to Rhys Evans who gave fly half Richard Davies the ball and looking left flicked a lovely inside pass to Evans who had continued his run to slice through to score a lovely try,  converted by  Tommason. Pontyates never gave up however and scored a try at the end with a cross kick to the corner.  Final score was 29 -10 to Llandybie which puts them nine points clear at the top of Division 3 C.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments