13 March 2017 / Club News

Pantyffynnon Match report 11/3/2017

                  LLANDYBIE    90    PANTYFYNNON   5 by Charles Cann

Llandybie entertained Pantyfynnon in their last home game of the season looking for a bonus point win in the race for the Division 3 C title and hoping Aberaeron could turn Bynea over and the title would be Llandybie’s.  Pantyfynnon came with a badly depleted team having a lot of forwards missing and had to go passive scrums from the start.  To be fair to the visitors they came to fulfil the fixture with half their regulars missing.                                 The hosts created good pressure from the start, a carry from Lyndon Davies just stopped short but the forwards recycled the ball and the backs put the ball through hands to hooker Rhys Cann to score from fifteen yards. Aled Tommason converted. Another strong carry from Rhydian Jones was just short but prop Keenan Jones was on hand to pick up and dive over with Tommason again converting. Pantyfynnon were finding it hard to contain the Llandybie back row and Lyndon Davies again made good yards with Nathaniel Butler at his shoulder to sprint clear to score under the posts, Tommason again converted. Panty had some much needed relief with a penalty but the kick was missed. The backs got in on the act with good hands from Leighton Rees and Richard Davies to put centre Rhys Evans through a gap to score converted by Tommason. Llandybie already had their bonus point.                    From another drive the ball was put wide again for Dafydd Nicholas to score converted by Tommason.  Ben Featherstone was put clear but the pass was ajudged forward.  Llandybie had a penalty but elected to kick to touch. James Tommason took the ball in the lineout   and the ball was recycled to second row Merlyn McClelland to power through the defence to score. Pantyfynnon were making ground into the Llandybie half but a good kick from Chris Powell pegged them back. Llandybie stole the throw and Rees and Davies put the ball to their backs for Aled Tommason to score ,converting his own try. Powell received a yellow card for a high tackle. From scrappy ball  Rhys Cann tidied up and from the ruck Leighton Rees broke through drawing the defender and passed to Butler on his left to score and Tommason again converted for Llandybie to lead 54 – 0 at half  time.

The second period gave no respite to the visitors, a good carry from Dai Lloyd and from the ruck Rees sneaked through to score, converted by Tommason. Butler received a yellow for tackling with no arms and soon after Pantyfynnon scored a breakaway try by Eirian Williams to at last put them on the board. From broken play Panty kicked down field to full back Josh Williams who set off on a mazy run ,side stepping five or six defenders and when caught ten yards out still had the strength to shrug off the defender to score an eighty yard try. From a Panty backs move the ball  went loose and second row James Tommason gathered and finding himself clear sprinted home to score, Aled  Tommason converted. Llandybie were putting the ball wide at every opportunity and from one Daf Nicholas scored. Josh Cranfield was thwarted three times by fantastic covering tackles. Next fly half Richard Davies scored under the posts converted by Tommason and lastly Keenan Jones scored to complete the scoring. Full marks to Pantyfynnon, although outgunned never gave up and were game to the last full marks for their effort.  Llandybie heard Aberaeron had beaten Bynea and the celebration began, winning their first trophy since 1993.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments