07 October 2019 / Club News

Llandeilo 5/10/19

LLANDEILO   3      LLANDYBIE     10 


 The much awaited derby at Cae William between third placed Llandeilo and next bottom Llandybie proved to be a tight match with both sides giving little away.  A good early break from full back Wayne Williams for Llandybie showed their attacking intention whilst a good tackle by Mike Tench stopped a Llandeilo attack.  Llandeilo had  a penalty for Llandybie not retreating ten yards but the kick by Owain Roberts was asking a lot from just on the half way and fell short.

A half break by Nathaniel Butler took the visitors forward but a poor lineout put Llandeilo on the attack but good tackling by Rhys Evans cleared the danger.  The visitors were having the better of the territory and a good carry by Lyndon Davies, continued by Mathew Lloyd and Keri Davies took them deep into Llandeilo’s half but a relieving kick by Phil Thomas ensured the half remained scoreless with honours even.

Llandybie lost Tench with a foot injury replaced by Dai Lloyd with Jordan Tommason moving to second row. Early second half pressure from Llandeilo took them into the visitors half and from a ruck Phil Thomas dropped a fine goal to give the home team the first score. The visitors first up tackling was much improved from recent matches with Butler and Ioan Rees in the thick of it.

Tackling from both sides was uncompromising but Llandybie looked more inventive behind with Llandeilo tending to kick possession away. Full back Wayne Williams was proving very elusive and always looking to attack with plenty of back up from his team mates. Llandybie kicked ahead with a good chase from Ben Featherstone giving Owain Williams little time to clear. From the line out James Tommason took the throw from Steff Thomas and Leighton Rees moved the ball cross field.

Llandeilo encroached offside but Llandybie opted for the scrum, Rees fed fly half Mathew Lloyd and a mismove by the centres found Williams from full back through the middle for a fine try which was converted by Featherstone. Llandeilo had a penalty soon after for a player diving over in the ruck but Thomas put the kick wide. James Tommason saw red for an infringement. Llandybie kept up the pressure and gained a penalty for not releasing in the tackle and Featherstone kicked it from wide out. From the restart Lyndon Davies was taken out in the air but only a penalty was given.

Owain Roberts put in a good diagonal kick but centre Rhys Evans just got back to smother the ball. Leighton Rees put in a fine cross kick well chased by Featherstone and the referee blew for time with Llandybie gaining their first league win of the season moving them up two places in the table.

A full on match from both sides with only the odd score likely to win it.Wayne Williams of Llandybie was voted man of the match. Next week Llandybie are home to Betws.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments