16 January 2017 / Club News

Cefneithin Match Report 14/1/2017


Llandybie travelled the short distance to local rivals Cefneithin hoping for a bonus win to put them back at the top of the table. Llandybie were quick out of the blocks pressuring Cefn  in the opening minutes. From a lineout ten yards  from the hosts line hooker Rhys Cann found Merlyn McClelland. Good smuggling work by the pack released scrum half Leighton Rees who popped the ball up for second row Layton Davies to burst through the gap to score under the posts after five minutes. Aled Tommason added the conversion. Llandybie then missed a penalty.                                                                                                                                   Llandybie’s pack were causing Cefneithin problems and a good drive took Cefn backwards, captain Rhydian Jones picked up to put Leighton Rees through to score with Chris Powell adding the extras. Soon after prop Dai Lloyd on the burst was held up just short of the line. Cefneithin put the ball wide and Llandybie had to work hard to keep them out.  From a good clearance from Powell, winger Ben Featherstone put in a good chase and the home defence knocked on. From the scrum  Llandybie put the ball through hands with full back Rhys Evans, just back from New Zealand , joining the move to scramble over from fifteen yards. Tommason again converted to put Llandybie 21 nil ahead.  Cefneithin fought back with some good running rugby, putting pressure on the visitors defence.  Cefn had three penalties in quick succession but normally reliable kicker Richard Watts could only convert one of them to put Cefn on the board.     Half time    3  -  21.

The first thirty minutes of the second half was nip and tuck with a lot of errors. There were a few high tackles from both sides, although nothing malicious,  but young referee Kieran Cooper from Cwmavon was in full control and had a sound game . Centres  Rob Smith and Johnny Harris were very quick up onto the Cefn attack.   Tommason was lost with a head injury and Llandybie brought on Lyndon Davies and Dan Brooks into the pack. Merlyn McClelland who had a fine match won another line out with the pack going forward again and a strong carry from hooker Rhys Cann, making fifteen yards with the back row of Nathaniel Butler and Davies arriving to ensure possession, prop Keenan Jones was on hand , using his strength to fend off three opponents and crash over in the corner to give Llandybie their fourth try bonus point. There was a good crowd watching with a strong contingent from Llandybie. This 26 – 3 win puts Llandybie back to the top of the table.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments