20 February 2017 / Club News

Furnace - Match report 18/2/2017


Llandybie entertained Furnace at the King George Playing Fields hoping to extent their unbeaten run to nine games and continue their push for the title.  Young Ryan Davies, son of Lyndon Davies was Llandybie’s mascot for the day.                                                                                                                     Furnace kicked off but the ball did not go ten metres and from the scrummage , Leighton Rees released his backs to winger Johnny Harris who made thirty metres taking a heavy tackle but threw the ball inside, knocked back by a defender and captain Rhydian Jones pounced on the loose ball to score. Harris however had to leave the field with a shoulder injury replaced by Ben Featherstone. Llandybie had their tails up and Jones led the line in a kick and chase. Furnace gave away a penalty which was missed. Another move crossfield put full back Josh Williams into the line and he put Featherstone away to score in the corner. Llandybie gained another penalty and Aled Tommason took the points. Williams had to leave with a pulled groin replaced by Josh Cranfield with Dafydd Nicholas moving to full back.  Llandybie’s pressure was relentless with forward drives from Lyndon Davies, Jones and Merlyn McClelland and their defence was sound giving no quarter. Another foray into the Furnace twenty two and hooker Rhys Cann picked up and cleverly switched play with a long pass to centre Tommason to score their third try which he converted to lead 20 – 0.                  Cann found McClelland in the linout and with Dai Lloyd and Nathaniel Butler making ground the ball came back to centre Rhys Evans to crash through the defence to score the bonus point try converted by Tommason.        Half time 27 – 0.                                                                              Matthew Meredith at tight head playing his first full game for some time scrummaged really well  for the hosts.  Early in the second period another line out take by Layton Davies and Rees and fly half Richard Davies cleverly moved the ball left and Daf Nicholas joined the line to put winger Cranfield away to score in the corner. Llandybie’s back row of Davies , Jones and Butler were outstanding and another attack saw the referee giving a penalty try for pulling back the player without the ball, converted by Tommason to lead 39 – 0.  Furnace almost broke the line a couple of times but good tackles from Rhys Evans and Richard Davies saved the day.   Llandybie rang the changes bringing on Dan Brooks, Eathan Walters and Cerith Lilburn. Furnace attacked down the right and scored a good try by Harry Ashton and with Llandybie throwing a loose pass giving an interception try to Rhys Phillips converted by Jamie Herbert. The hosts were to have the final say with Rhydian Jones making an interception to break a tackle to score under the posts converted again by Tommason to run out winners 46 – 12. Next Saturday Llandybie are off to Scotland to play their annual tour match against Grangemouth which is their 60th anniversary. Next up in the league is the all important match away to second placed Bynea.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments